Breaking News

Africa's pride Nigeria moves to avoid FIFA sanctions

Africa's pride Nigeria moves to avoid FIFA sanctions
Nigeria's government contacted FIFA over the weekend in a last-ditch move to stave off a proposed suspension of the Nigeria Football Federation as a result of the ongoing crisis in the country's football.

Sources told KweséESPN that the government sent a letter to FIFA, assuring world football's governing body that Amaju Pinnick and his Exco were in charge of football in the country.

Additionally, the government assured FIFA that football in the country was being run -- and will continue to be run -- in full compliance with FIFA Statutes.

Last week, FIFA issued a deadline of noon on August 20 for the the Executive Committee led by Pinnick to be restored to office and allowed unhindered access to perform their responsibilities, or face a ban from international football.

A group led by Christopher Giwa claiming to have been elected in August 2014 had invaded the NFF offices on the back of an interim court order and taken control.

Those claims were rejected by FIFA, who ruled that the said election was invalid as a result of third party interference.

Giwa appealed the decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which dismissed his claim. He then filed a case in a Federal High Court, and obtained an interim order recognising his election.

At the last appearance in court on Friday, the case was adjourned indefinitely, leading to concern that the ban would happen today.

No comments