Breaking News

Manchester City's Gabriel Jesus accepts Brazil snub

Manchester City's Gabriel Jesus accepts Brazil snub
Gabriel Jesus has told ESPN he was not angry to be dropped by Brazil following his disappointing World Cup.

Manchester City striker Jesus has been left out of the Brazil squad for next month's friendlies against the United States and El Salvador.

The 21-year-old started his country's five matches in Russia but failed to score as they went out to Belgium in the quarterfinals.

"They called me minutes before the announcement. I was happy with the call, but obviously I was not happy to be left out," Jesus told ESPN Brasil.

"I always want to play for City and for my country. It does not mean, however, that I am angry with someone at the football federation.

"I will keep working but I accept that other players deserve a chance, like [Roberto] Firmino, who has been playing really well since last season."

Gabriel scored for City in Sunday's 6-1 home victory over Huddersfield Town -- his first start of the season -- but added that there had been no relief at hitting the target after his World Cup goal drought.

No comments